Friday, October 13, 2006

Rock the Cheeze Wiz

So I just finished my Ipod 80's hair metal mix (You give love a baaaad name! Rock You Like a Hurricane and my personal fave, Tuuuurrrrrbooooo Loverrrrrrrrrr!) and this mix had me waxing nostalgic all day. You know what I really miss? 80's Alternative. Not great alternative like the Pixies, Sonic Youth or Echo and the Bunnymen, those bands never really went away, but alternative trash. Cheesy alternative. Mediocre alternative. Even bad alternative. Alternative that had few fans, mostly because the pop audience was smart enough to buy Prince and the Bangles instead.

I miss them like how Jack the Ripper misses disection class. In my mind came a quick roll call: Romeo Void, Generation X, Revolting Cocks, Sigue Sigue Sputnik (!!!!!), Bow Wow Wow, Missing Persons, Housemartins, Romantics, Mission UK, Dead or Alive, The Busboys, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Dexy's Midnight Runners, After the Fire, Falco, Taco, M, "Just Can't Get Enough" era Depeche Mode, Madness, Whoever sung the title song for the TV show Square Pegs, Spandau Ballet, Skinny Puppy, Nitzer Ebb, Frontline 242, Cabaret Voltaire (actually they turned out to be genuises all along), 23 Skiddoo, Magazine, Toni Childs, Grace Pool, Celibate Rifles, The Glove, The Cramps,
Einstürzende Neubauten and others that my subconscious chose to keep for himself.

There are a million others of course, but right now I'm too busy, hitting up my Limewire, pleading with it to let off some more underground 80's cheese, so layta for you.